Thursday, April 9, 2009

Eighth Report

Friday 10th April - Cairns
Rain, Rain and More Rain. However it stopped from about 10.30 until about 4.00, which is said to be the usual tropical pattern. To get some miles on the new bike I rode it south down the highway (and in the rain) to Bramston Beach and back. This bike just eats up the distance and is very, very comfortable. The electrically (yes) adjustable windscreen makes a huge difference, and at full height I hardly need to wear wet weather gear. I stopped at Bramston and watched bloke catch nothing in a cast net. I chatted with him for a while and he said that crocs are regularly seen in the waterway in which he was wading. I left him to his fishing and wished him good luck with the crocs. I was back at camp by lunch time and spent a lazy afternoon arranging how to carry my luggage, and then doing very little. The forecast is for more rain, but no-one seems to think that it will cause road closures.

Thursday 9th April - Back in Cairns and a NEW BIKE
Rain, Rain and more Rain. With some assitance from Vernon, I picked up the Yamaha from Hanks Engineering at 8.30am, and went straight around to the Honda dealer. It was pouring with rain, and not the way that I would have liked to have my last ride on the bike that has served me well (up until the other day!) for over 60,000km. I was at the Honda dealer for a couple of hours, sorting out the relevant paperwork, and then stripping bits from the Yamaha. I had to remove the tank to be able to take out the wiring looms for the Autocom communication system and the GPS mounts and wiring. It was hot work in a shed at the back of the delaer's workshop. On my return to Adelaide, they will be fitted to the new bike. The fuel tank on the new bike was filled for me at a local servo, and I rode out the door at about 11.00am and headed straight up the Captain Cook Highway to Port Douglas for a try out. While heavier than the Yamaha XJR1300, the Honda ST1300 seems lighter as the weight is much lower. It's powered by a V4 engine mounted lenghways along the frame and has a shaft final drive. It is a dedicated touring bike and is designed to carry two people in comfort with all the trimmings. Luggage carrying is via two large 35 litre panniers and a top box big enough to hold two full face helmets. It will be more than adequate for the remainder of the trip, and is designed to carry the amount of load that I am carrying without compromising the structure of the bike. I have booked it in for the initial 1,000 km service on Tuesday morning, so I have several days to run up the required kilometers, which I will do easily. I did some grocery shopping at Port Douglas and returned to camp at Cairns. I then spent some time sorting out my stuff, and posted a whole bundle of gear home that I don't need or can't use, including the GPS, CB radio and wiring looms which I can 't yet fit to the new bike, and the old canvas panniers. I have also heard that Fish and Steve have arrived home safely after their long run home from Longreach. Their journey has ended and my adventure not continues, after it had almost ended, so far from home.

Wednesday 8th April - Adelaide & Return to Cairns - A BIG DECISION IS MADE
After a couple of sleepless nights and lots of discussions and some reservations, I have decided to sell the now not so trusty steed, and replace it with a Honda ST1300, which would allow me to continue the journey, rather than racing 3,500km straight home with almost no luggage, and on a bike with a repaired frame. I got a quote from the Honda dealer before returning home to Adelaide, who was prepared to trade the Yamaha after the frame had been repaired by Hanks Engineering. Hank's work is well known in Cairns. It was a good deal on a low mileage demo bike, and I must admit that getting a good price for the Yamaha with a welded up frame would have been difficult back home. I spent the morning in Adelaide running around making friends with the bank manager again. Chris farwelled me at the airport at 1200 and I arrived back in Cairns at 6.00pm. It was raining cats and dogs. Back at the caravan park, all of my stuff was dry, thank goodness, and the tent had not leaked. I chatted the evening away with some more Dutch backpackers, and had an early night. Lots has been happening and I've been very tired and apprehensive.

Tuesday 7th April - Adelaide
It was great to be home with Chris and the kids again. The presentaion of my APM, awarded as part of the 2009 Australia Day Honours was a short and very formal affair at Government House. There were OAM's, APM's, various high military honours and a series of bravery awards. I was truly humbled to be part of such a gathering, and it was very special to have Chris, Judy and Andy there with me. After the presentation there was morning tea with the Governor, and a tour of the home. SA's Governmetn House is a truly beautiful old home, set in spacious gardens, right in the heart of Adelaide. We had the opportunity to stand in the doorway through which Bouke and Wills departed on their expedition north. The afternoon was spent at a Memorial Service for a very special person who had recently passed away, who I would love to have known better. Ian's extrordinary life has left a lasting legacy. A wonderful family BBQ completed a special day, and one that has produced some lifetime memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment