Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Wrap up and Some Statistics....

Map Showing the Route














Click on the map to enlarge it. The green trace shows the route taken and the red dots are the overnight stays

Photos have now been added to all the posts.
Enjoy our journey with us!
Pete 23rd May 2009



Some Overall Impressions
This was a memorable adventure and Marcelo, Steve And Fish were great companions to share it with. After they had headed towards home from Rockhampton, and I continued north on my own, the character of the trip completely changed. I certainly felt alone as the boys headed west and I continued on the long stretch north towards Cairns. That feeling did not last, as I quickly found that there were always companions and new friends to share the adventure wherever I stopped. The Camp Kitchens were full of like-minded travelers, all wanting to share their stories and hear mine. I met so many wonderful folk and heard some great yarns.

Riding highlights were probably the mountain roads in northern NSW and southern QLD, and I would love to return and further explore those areas. The place where I felt the most at ease and “chilled” was at Glen Helen, west of Alice Springs. I spent two much needed peaceful and restful days there.

Being away from home and family for 51 days could have been difficult more difficult. However, coming home from Cairns for my APM presentation, and then having Chris fly to Darwin for a few days eased my homesickness.

Australia is a huge country, and it was a privilege to experience so much of it, all be it just on the sealed roads, and Honda was the perfect bike for the job, but I certainly miss the old fashioned and gutsy style of the big Yamaha. Sadly, it was not up the the job.

Given the opportunity I would readily undertake another such trip, and have identified areas where some cost savings could be made. Mainly with food and drink, and accommodation. I would not buy so many lunches and cold drinks, and on a number of occasions I couldn’t be bothered putting up the my tent, and grabbed a cabin. I might just have to start planning where I’ll go next……..


Trip Statistics
Days Away: 51
Distance Covered: 16,314 kilometers
Fuel Used: 794 litres
Most Expensive Fuel: $1.85 per litre at Barkly Homestead
Nights in my Tent: 34 - Other nights were in cabins and pubs, or with friends & relatives.
Cheapest Camp: $7.50 per night at Melrose
Most Expensive Camp: $31 per night at Alice Springs

1 comment:

  1. Hi Pete,

    thank you for a very inspiring blog. I really enjoyed following it (and it brought back some nice memories). I'm looking forward to the next half...

    Tom

    ReplyDelete