Monday, February 23, 2009

Two and a Half Weeks to Departure

There’s little left to do, other than some last minute small purchases, and couple of phone calls to folk that I plan on visiting at various places. I slept on my nice thin self inflating air mattress the other night, and found that my bones need more support than one inch of foam can provide. I’ve decided that I need to take a thicker one instead, and put up with the extra bulk. I need to be comfortable if I’m going to spend over seven weeks sleeping on the ground, and still be fit enough to ride each day.

I had a full practice pack last weekend, and everything fitted into the panniers and on the bike with a bit of room to spare. Very pleasing. Fish is going to take a run to Victor Harbor and back with his full traveling load, jut to check space and comfort. He’ll have no worries, as the Kawasaki GTR 1000 is a proven “Mile Muncher” and a very capable touring bike. The other boys are confident that they have the load issues sorted.

Steve had a scare last week, and has just had his gall bladder removed. He is recovering well and will be fully fit by departure date. Things could have gone very badly if he had suffered a gall bladder attack while we were on the road.


On lighter note, things we need to avoid……..

Sickness while traveling on a motorcycle can be very much worse than if you are traveling in a car. If anyone needs to vomit, it's probably better if the helmet comes off first.






Animals straying onto the road can be a problem, but up until now I was more worried about hitting a ‘roo than a rabbit! Hitting one of these would be like running into a wombat. It looks like this guy has just caught the easter bunny, and those big feet just crack me up.










The floods in QLD won’t be a problem after all. I always thought that only fully optioned dirt bikes, ridden by Charlie and Ewan, could get through a deep water crossing. Clearly our road bikes will be OK if the flood waters don’t subside, as this rider on a full sports bike has demonstrated.





Stay Tuned.....
Pete

No comments:

Post a Comment